Müller, Frank A., Prof. Dr.-Ing.
Otto Schott Institute of Materials Research (OSIM)
Friedrich Schiller University Jena
- since 2008: Professor for Colloids, Surfaces and Interfaces, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena
- 04/2008: Habilitation, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
- 2002-2008: Head of Group “Biomaterials”, Department of Materials Science, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
- 05/2002: PhD in Materials Science
- 1997-2001: Research Associate, Department of Materials Science (Prof. Dr. Peter Greil), University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
- 1990-1996: Study of Materials Science, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany and CSIC-ICV, Madrid, Spain
In 2008 Frank Müller received an appointment for a professorship for ‘Colloids, Surfaces and Interfaces’ (CSI) at the Otto Schott Institute of Materials Research (OSIM) of the Friedrich-Schiller-University of Jena (FSUJ). He currently runs a research group of two postdocs, five PhD students and two technicians. The research in his group is mainly focused on ‘Laser Materials Processing’ including the synthesis of nanoparticles, surface modification, coatings, and additive manufacturing, and ‘Bio-inspired Materials’ including biomimetic surfaces, biomineralization, and hybride structures for applications in the fields of biomaterials, energy and environmental technology. Within the last ten years the CSI group attracted €5M of research funding from governmental and industrial sources.
Frank Müller´s work led to 159 peer-reviewed publications (incl. Nature Materials, Advanced Materials, Advanced Functional Materials, Biomaterials, Nanoscale), 147 conference contributions, 30 invited presentations, five patents, and four book chapters. The quality and recognition of his scientific work is proven by a Hirsch-index of 44, an accumulated impact factor of 752 and more than 7300 citations in total. 16 of his papers have had more than 100 citations.
5 most significant recent publications
- L Müller, P Hornig, J Grabow, FA Müller "Preparation of SrTiO3 nanocubes by CO2 laser vaporization and hydrothermal maturation" Nanoscale Adv. 4 (2022) 182-189.
- O Dubnack, FA Müller "Oxidic 2D Materials" Materials 14 (2021) 5213.
- O Dubnack, C Kunz, S Gräf, FA Müller "Laser-induced Leidenfrost surfaces" Appl. Surf. Sci. 532 (2020) 147407.
- M Wu, T Wang, L Müller, FA Müller "Adjustable synthesis of polydopamine nanospheres and their nucleation and growth" Colloid Surface A 603 (2020) 125196.
- AV Boehm, S Meininger, U Gbureck, FA Müller "Self-healing capacity of fiber-reinforced calcium phosphate cements" Sci. Rep. 10 (2020) 9430.
5 most cited publications
- P Heinl, L Müller, C Körner, RF Singer, FA Müller "Cellular Ti-6Al-4V structures with interconnected macro porosity for bone implants fabricated by selective electron beam melting" Acta Biomater. 4 (2008) 1536-1544.
- A Dey, PHH Bomans, FA Müller, J Will, PM Frederik, G de With, NAJM Sommerdijk "The role of prenucleation clusters in surface induced calcium phosphate crystallization" Nature Mater. 9 (2010) 1010-1014.
- L Jonášová, FA Müller, A Helebrant, J Strnad, P Greil "Biomimetic apatite formation on chemically treated titanium" Biomaterials 25 (2004) 1187-1194.
- L Müller, FA Müller "Preparation of SBF with different HCO3-content and its influence on the composition of biomimetic apatites" Acta Biomater. 2 (2006) 181-189.
- FA Müller, L Müller, I Hofmann, P Greil, MM Wenzel, R Staudenmaier "Cellulose-based scaffold materials for cartilage tissue engineering "Biomaterials 27 (2006) 3955-3963.